
Well, after a long, emotional journey...Maddox Maxwell is finally home. Maddox was born on Monday March 16, 2009. We went in Sunday Morning and after a long day of labor, he entered the world early Monday morning. Delivery went extremely fast. He was out in about 15 seconds. From the first time Jake brought him over to see me, we knew he didnt look right. He was blue and couldnt really cry or make any noises that didnt sound gargled. I paged the nurse back into our room, she took one look at him and took him away. We had no idea what we were in for. Jake followed the nurse out and didnt come back for 2 hours. He came to me with news that Maddox was having a hard time breathing. Not something you want to hear about your brand new baby. We had no idea the severity of the situation until the next few days unfolded. He was delivered at a hospital with a level 2 NICU and was in there immediately following his birth. I wont get into detail but I wil tell you that I have never felt the hurt in my heart that I felt there. I have never experienced anything like that. My husband and I were faced with feelings and thoughts that no parents should have to feel following the birth of their child. To be honest, we were unsure what was going to happen. They didnt know what was wrong. Finally after they had a cardiologist come, they concluded he had pulminary hyper tension and seperations of tissue in his heart. On Tuesday early evening, Maddox was transferred by ambulance to the level 3 NICU at Siena. He was on a breathing machine which did 100% of his breathing and on alot of medications to open up and clear his lungs. Again, I will spare the details, but it was a long and emotional 10 days in the NICU. The hardest parts were not getting to ever hold him until he was 8 days old, not getting to see his eyes open until day 8 as well because he was so heavily sedated the entire time, having to leave him there alone when I had to leave the hospital to be with my other kids, and just not knowing what was going to happen from hour to hour. I didnt sleep for a very long time and I was constantly worried that something would happen while I wasnt there. Aside from the other conditions he was being treated for, he also suffered from pneumonia, and a collasped right lung. Now for some good news. The drs were very impressed with him with how well and how fast he was recovering. Once they diagnosed him and treated him with the necessities he fought his way the entire time. We kept calling him our little fighter and our warrior. He continued to fight and recovered very well. He will have no long term effects from this which we are happy about. The Drs told us he is a normal healthy baby now and to treat him like as if it never happened. He is a wonderful baby and we are enjoying having him home. As you can imagine, we all battle who gets to hold him and we never put him down. :) We cant stop staring at him and we love him to pieces. The kids love him and do very well with him. We are overly protective of him and that will problably never change! :) Things are going very well for him. We definitely feel very blessed to have him home. We are closer than ever as a family and closer to the Lord. We had so many people praying for Maddox and our family, and we felt it. Maddox received many blessings and his name was put into 3 different temples. We know Maddox has a purpose here on earth and we are so grateful for a full recovery. Thank you for all the prayers, text messages, and the many wonderful meals that everyone has done for us. We have felt the love of everyone and it has definitely helped.
Below are a few of the many pictures taken in the NICU and some of his first days at home...








29 comments:
Amanda, I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. I know just how hard it can be when your baby is whisked off into the NICU, it is scary and all you want to do is hold your precious new baby and make everything ok. I am so glad that everything turned out for the best, what a blessing! He is a very handsome boy and I can't wait to meet him! If you need anything at all please let me know!
I'm so sorry for everything you all had to go through. I'm glad he's healthy and home and he's just so dang cute:)
Welcome sweet baby boy! What alittle blessing you are!
I am so glad that he is home and healthy! He is definitely a fighter! He is adorable!
Amanda,
What a cute little guy! I'm glad everything is going well now. You were definitely in my prayers.
I know you have tons of family and friends helping, but please holler at us if we can do anything to help.
Edie
Wow what a scary time! I am so happy for you and him that he is home and healthy! What a little fighter! Jax and Ryleigh look so sweet with him!
Yea, I'm sooooo happy he is home and safe!!!!!! Love you guys!
I'm so sorry to hear about everything you had to go through. I'm so glad he's doing so well.
He sure is CUTE!
Congratulations on a darling little boy, I am so glad that he is home now and that all of your concerns and worries are hopefully over.
Congratulations! I am glad you finally having your little guy home!
Amanda, being a mom of a NICU baby...I know how emotional and scary those days and long nights can be. I am so happy for your family and excited that Maddox is home! We love you guys!
Amanda-
He is adorable and I am soooo sorry for the hard time you guys have gone through. You guys are amazing and so Iknow the Lord will bless your little guy. Good luck with everything. Again, if you want to be invited to my blog send me an email to shadoe.w@gmail.com so I have your email.
Congratulations! I'm sorry to hear how it all began, but I'm so happy to hear that he's better and doing good. It's a hard thing to have to leave your baby, I'm sure you're so dang glad it's over! Good luck and congrats again! :) He's a cutie!
He is adorable glad he is with you in your arms now!!
My gosh! What a cute little guy!!! I love the pic of the kids mobbing the carseat!!! SO cute! The NICU pics take me to old memories, but there is something un-believable about finally getting that baby released and taking it home... like the BEST feeling in the world, most likely because of (like you said) the sleepless nights, the worry... bringing baby home is sweeter than ever!
Im so happy he is home, that you are all a happy cute fam!!! Getting used to having 3 kids now... He is so adorable Amanda, Congrats!!!! Again!
I have been so stinkin' worried about little baby Maddox. So glad that he is home with you and you get to snuggle him all the time. It's amazing how well he recovered - he really is a little fighter! Give him a kiss for me. I can't wait to meet the handsome little devil!
thats so great you guys. i am so happy and thankful to the lord that he is okay now. love to you all and hope you liked the gift that i sent for him. love mom
Oh honey!
I had no idea! I was shocked!
I am so glad your story has a happy ending! You worked so hard to get him here in the first place.
It just supports what I've always said though, he is a lucky baby to come into your home!
Sending love and prayers,
Cynthia
He is so cute. I am so glad he is home and well.
Amanda,
He seriously is so so so so cute. I am glad to know that you got all of our texts messages. Kaylene kept us all informed and she was a great friend to let us all know you and baby were okay! I am so happy that he is with you to hold and to be with at home with all the family. We are still here for you when you need anything..... you are great and an amazing mom!
wow. you guys are so strong. I am so happy that he has recovered so well. I can't imagine what that must have been like. He is a handsome little man, and he has the same bday as Maddie!
Amanda, he is so beatiful! I'm I am so glad he's home and in his mamma's arms. Ryleigh looks so proud! Congrats!
He is so gorgeous! I am so happy he is finally home!!!
Amanda, my heart ached for you when Stacey told me all that was going on. It brought back all those emotions that we just went through when my dad was in ICU. I am SOOO thankful that Maddox is doing well. I wish I could see your kids in person, but I love looking at your pictures. Take care, and be sure to do the screaching firework for me this year!
Love, Carli
Those pictures in the hospital break my heart! I am so glad he is well and home with you both! He is adorable and looks like an Anderson!
Oh Amanda...I am just sitting here crying for you. I am so glad you are all home and well. Wish I could have been there to help with your cute kiddos. Good luck!
Love,
Kara
Ugh... I can't even fathom what you had to go through! I'm glad it ended in such a huge blessing! and that he's home safe and strong! He's an adorable little stud muffin! Congratulations of your beautiful family!
Amanda,
I had no idea! I am so sorry that all this happened but so glad things turned out alright. he is adorable. congratulations!
Oh wow, what a story! I'm so happy to hear that all is well with little Maddox. He looks so much like his big brother! I'm sure your kids are overjoyed to have him home and be their little play thing :) I hope you're recovering well and that your little family is doing well also.
Post a Comment